Growing older brings with it a wealth of benefits: wisdom, a lifetime of precious memories, retirement years that can allow for the pursuit of new interests, and so much more. Yet it can also lead to health, mobility, and cognitive functioning challenges, making it difficult or unsafe to continue living at home. Many family members begin exploring facility care for the older adults they love at this stage – a significant and often unwelcome life change. Yet, another option all families should explore is in-home care for older adults.
Why Should You Consider In-Home Care?
Living at home, in familiar surroundings that spark memories in every nook and cranny, is a source of comfort. Home is where we can truly relax and be ourselves. It’s where we control each decision that arises, no matter how small, giving us a sense of freedom. Whether it’s choosing when to wake up, what to have for breakfast, who to visit with and when, where and when to play with a loyal pet, when to seek privacy, or what activities to engage in, these independent decisions are vitally important to our sense of self-worth and confidence.
But there are many other reasons to consider in-home care over a significant, life-changing move to a nursing home or assisted living facility. For instance:
- Home care is highly customized to the unique needs of each individual. A personalized care plan is created that encompasses what is essential to the person receiving care, along with the ideal level of support needed and desired to ensure safety and independent living. Home care is provided one-on-one, so there is never the need to “wait your turn” while a caregiver tends to the needs of others.
- Home care professionals are fully trained and experienced in a wide range of senior care needs and then carefully matched to the older adult they will serve based on compatible personality types, likes/dislikes, and more. This allows the older adult and caregiver to connect better, often forming a close bond of companionship.
- Home care provides a safety net of protection from the spread of infection that can be difficult to obtain in a facility setting.
- With home care, the person receiving care retains much control, with their desired routine preserved and essential aspects of life remaining the same – with as much or as little support as needed to be added in.
What Services Are Provided by an In-Home Caregiver?
Encore Caregivers, a top provider of senior care in Houston and the surrounding areas, offers a variety of support in the home based on each person’s specific needs. This can include any or all of the following services:
- The companionship enhances socialization through conversations, reminiscing, engaging activities, the pursuit of hobbies, outings, exercise, etc.
- Light housekeeping and laundry for a clean and organized environment in which the senior lives.
- Light meal preparation.
- Assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) such as walking, eating, drinking, showering, bathing, grooming, dressing, using the bathroom, and more.
- Transportation to medical procedures and appointments, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. If the person wants to go to the Hill Country and look at the flowers, we can handle that, too.
- Specialized dementia care for those with Alzheimer’s disease or another type of cognitive decline that interferes with daily life.
- And more.
If you’d like to explore in-home care as an option for someone you love, we are here to answer your questions and provide you with the information you need around the clock. We also offer a free in-home assessment when you decide on in-home care – an assessment in which we learn more about the senior and use that information to create a customized care plan.
Please contact us at 713-686-2233 to learn more about in-home care for older adults today! It’s a true blessing and offers families the peace of mind they need and deserve!